Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tea Time Tuesday - Zhena's Gypsy Tea Biodynamic Green in Caramelized Pear


It's not a holiday tea, but it should be. Pears are in season this time of year and the hint of caramel adds a depth that's true perfection after a heavy feast or on a snowy morning.I am definitely a seasonal sipper, and I love the Zhena's Gypsy brand of tea. It's one of my favorites. Not only are their ingredients organic (grown without the use of chemicals) but they are Fair Trade too, which means farmers and farm workers get fair pay for their labor. On top of that . . . the teas are freakin' delicious.

There are a ton to choose from. I've been a fan since there were only a handful of options, and oh, how they've grown. 

They now have a line of biodynamic teas. According to their website, biodynamic means:
  • Highest paradigm of sustainable farming.
  • Self- sustaining ecosystem free from any external and unnatural additions.
  • Heals the environment for future generations.
  • One of the smallest carbon footprints of any agricultural method.
  • Oldest non-chemical agricultural movement in the West, predating the organic farming movement by 20 year
I'm on board with that!

So, on to the Caramelized Pear green tea. It's smooth, nutty, and slightly sweet, with the depth from caramel like I mentioned earlier. The bag is an adorable sachet that allows expansion of the leaves. The only downside is the super-short string attached to it. When steeping, the string draws the liquid up and out of the cup, making a drippy mess. If you snip the string and steep in a pot, it's no problem! But for the average sized mug-steeper (let alone those using monster sized mugs like I do) it can be a slight annoyance. Keep a napkin handy.
Other than that, this tea is sophisticated, delicate, and a true winner in my book. It's the ultimate winter tea.

Check out their website at http://www.gypsytea.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment