Monday, November 29, 2010

The End of NaNoWriMo

Drinking: Starbucks Via Italian Roast (What? It's NaNoWriMo season! Tea doesn't cut it.)

Reading: Sarah Dessen's Just Listen


Well, I failed. I failed in the sense that I was going to blog about my experience participating in NaNoWriMo this month. Once the calender flipped to November 1, I went into hiding and neglected... pretty much everything. I'm sorry.

But on the upside... I won! 50,010 words on the 29th. Eight years, and this is my fifth "win." Hooray for me! *pats self on the back* Arrogant moment aside, it's not like I actually win anything except a personal sense of accomplishment and a rough draft to hone into a future novel. So the real work begins on January 1st, when I've taken a slight breather from it and return with a pick-ax and a spoon to cut away the useless adjectives, adverbs, and passive tense, and fill in the gaping plot holes. This is actually my favorite part. It's satisfying watching it come together to form a real novel. I'm giddy just thinking about it.

But first, the holiday season is upon us, and I will be taking some time to revel in the wintry joy. Decorations are going up, cookies will be baked, and gifts will be wrapped like something out of Martha Stewart Living!

I leave you with photos, proof that I was actually hard at work on a novel and not just skivving off my blog.


 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, it's Katharine from the write-ins. I just realized that I've been subscribed to your blog the entire month of November and didn't realize that it was, you know, you!

    Congratulations on finishing NaNo! You're awesome, your writing is awesome and you are going to rock the publishing world one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Katharine! It's so funny how that happens sometimes. Thanks for all the support, and congratulations are in order for YOU too! :-D

    ReplyDelete